AnsweredAssumed Answered

Performance Comparison of Different SSL Ciphers

Question asked by Eric Rosenberry on Feb 19, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 by Rob Moss

My apologies for this being a bit off topic, but I have yet to find any good data for this anywhere online and so I figured the community here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am looking for relative performance benchmarks between the various different ciphers one might use?

i.e. Just even some baselines on a single common processor architecture would be fantastic (say an Intel E3-1230 v5, or really any version of that processor, or any other common Intel CPU).

In my case, I care most about the actual key exchange part as that is the massive lions share of my CPU usage (and the bulk crypto can take advantage of CPU acceleration features), but others may care separately about the key exchange portion plus actual throughput.

This is relevant as it might impact which ciphers I chose and how I order them preference wise.

Any thoughts are appreciated!  It seems like this is important information for the community to have in order to make good decisions about securing the Internet.

Cheers!

-Eric

Outcomes