AnsweredAssumed Answered

GlobalSign SSL Checker: Grade C, consequences?

Question asked by dthomas2 on Oct 14, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 by dthomas2

I have a free SSL certificate with my host. I ran the same test and got the following response: http://i.imgur.com/CbVjVee.png (ps. this is my employers domain, so I've blurred out some parts for privacy).

Question 1:

Do lower-graded SSL certificates according to GlobalSign, have any adverse effect on website performance?

Question 2:

Is it advisable to obtain a Grade A result for the sake of future-proofing for possible 3rd party integration? Should I always aim or top grades?

Notes:

I appreciate some older Operating systems/Browser don't support SNI or FS, but I've read that it's possible to test for these and customize a server response accordingly in order to handle failures gracefully.

I found one supposed 'Top Hosting' provider that failed in PCI, and didn't have an Extended Validation Certificate (EV) for their online purchase form. So, I get the impression that top SSL grades are for the over-zealous or compliant-obsessed.

I'd like a Grade A too! Not because I like green ticks, but because I prefer establishing a solid-as-possible foundation to begin from. I'd prefer THE GREEN result because it's easier to integrate future services, I assume.

Outcomes