AnsweredAssumed Answered

No Host Alive - EC2 pre-authorised scan in AWS

Question asked by B_S on Feb 13, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 by Vishwesh Kumar

Hi,I have a pre-autorised Qualys appliance up and running in AWS with a elastic IP.  The ports and security allow communication to Qualys and there are no issues with this side as the Qualys console can connect to the appliance in AWS and the IP, instance name, etc are correct.  I have set up tags, EC2 connector and option groups for the scnas to take place in the console.

The problem I am having is that when performing an EC2 scan, the appliance identifies 16 hosts but once the scan completes is says "no hosts alive".  The EC2 hosts in the AWS VPC are of different sizes and I am aware that Micro and Small instances are not scanned.  However others instances Medium and Large are also being identified as not alive.  Some are in the same subnet as the Qualys appliance (put there to test the scan) and others are in different subnets / security groups.

Those that are in different subnets and security groups have the ICMP ports open for the appliance and IP ranges defined.

Can anyone help with this problem or has anyone experienced the no host alive message in AWS?

Thanks in advance - Brian

Outcomes