How to schedule a scan

Document created by Qualys Documentation Employee on Oct 24, 2012Last modified by Qualys Documentation Employee on Feb 4, 2016
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

It's best practice to schedule scans to run automatically on a regular basis. This ensures that you always have current host scan data in your account which is important for accurate trend reporting and staying on top of remediation efforts.

This article describes how to schedule a vulnerability scan. The same principles apply to scheduling other types of scans and maps.

Let's get started! Go to Scans > Schedules and choose New > Schedule Scan.

sched-scan.png

The first step is to enter a title for your schedule and select a scan option profile, which contains the scan settings you want to use. The "Initial Options" profile is provided by the service for your convenience.

scheduled_scan_title.jpg

Next select the hosts you want to scan. Go to the Target Hosts section and enter any combination of asset groups and/or IP addresses.

scheduled_scan_target.jpg

One more thing - just tell us when and how often you want the scan to run. Go to the Scheduling section to set scheduling options.

scheduled_scan_scheduling.jpg

How often will my scan run?

You can choose to have the scan run daily (or every 2 days, 3 days, etc), weekly (or every 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc), monthly (or every 2 months, 3 months, etc), or to "Relaunch on Finish" (for continuous scanning, available only when this option is enabled for your account).

How many times will my scan run?

Your scan will run indefinitely unless you set the "Ends after N occurrences" option. Enter the number of times you want the scan to run in the field provided. When the set number of occurrences is reached, the scheduled scan will become inactive.

What if I don't want the scan run time to exceed a certain number of hours?

Select the duration option to have the scan paused or cancelled if it runs longer than a set number of hours. If you have the scan paused then you also have the option to resume the scan automatically in a day (or 2 days, 3 days, etc) or specify that the scan is manually resumed by a user.

Can I be notified each time the scan runs?

Yes. Go to the Notifications section and select the check box "Notify task owner" (that's you) and specify when you'd like the notification sent - days, hours or minutes before the scan starts. You can also add additional email recipients and enter a custom message for the notification.

scheduled_scan_notifications.jpg

Click Save to save your schedule to the schedules list.

Each time your scheduled scan starts, it will appear on your scans list along with on-demand scans. When the scan status shows Finished, select View from the Quick Actions menu to see the full results in an HTML report.

Attachments

Outcomes